A school is an educational institution designed to provide learning spaces and learning environments for the teaching of students (or “pupils”) under the direction of teachers. Most countries have systems of formal education, which is commonly compulsory.[ In these systems, students progress through a series of schools. The names for these schools vary by country but generally include primary school for young children and secondary school for teenagers who have completed primary education. An institution where higher education is taught, is commonly called a university college or university, but these higher education institutions are usually not compulsory.
Starting a school
The Toronto District School Board is an example of a school board that allows parents to design and propose new schools.[
When designing a school, factors that need to be decided include:[
- Goals: What is the purpose of education, and what is the school’s role?
- Governance: Who will make which decisions?
- Parent involvement: In which ways are parents welcome at the school?
- Student body: Will it be, for example, a neighbourhood school or a specialty school?
- Student conduct: What behaviour is acceptable, and what happens when behaviour is inappropriate?
- Curriculum: What will be the curriculum model, and who will decide on curricula?